FirstPic, Inc. assisted the Major Cities Chiefs Association (MCCA), the U.S. DOJ, Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Assistance, with LELI. This initiative was designed to foster a greater understanding of leadership competencies for law enforcement. While considerable writing and research exist on the subject of leadership development in the private business sector and the U.S. military, similar efforts for law enforcement are incomplete. Through research and the involvement of subject matter experts from a wide array of professional organizations, FirstPic, Inc. and MCCA constructed baseline competencies for law enforcement leadership development through the following steps:
- Provided comprehensive literature review of leadership and leadership development.
- Reviewed current best practices in leadership development and created a culture of leadership.
- Assessed leadership development needs from within law enforcement.
- Developed core leadership competencies.
- Provided briefings for and outreach to the law enforcement community.